Dr. John Shindano joined the University of Zambia in the Department of Food Science & Nutrition in 1999 as a Lecturer. He worked in the private sector as Quality Assurance Officer for National Milling Company for 2 years prior to joining the academics. In the University, he has taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses, which include food chemistry, food quality and safety management, food colloids, sensory evaluation of foods and technology of plant products. He has supervised numerous students for their research at undergraduate and postgraduate.
His research interests are in food quality, food safety, food product development and processing of indigenous foods.
- Suraiya Ismail, John Shindano, Drinah Banda Nyirenda, Ranajit Bandyopadhay and Juliet Akello (2014). Does Exposure to Aflatoxin Constrain Efforts to Reduce Stunting in Zambia? In Joddy Harris, Lawrence Haddad and Silke Seco Grutz (eds). Turning Rapid Growth into Meaningful Growth: Sustaining the Commitment to Nutrition in Zambia. Institute of Development Studies - IDS Special Collection. Chapter in a Book, pp22-26. ISBN:978-1-78118-181-2.
- Schoustra S. E, Shindano J, Poulain A. J. (2013). Experimental evolution in traditional fermented products. Netherlands Journal of Medical Microbiology 21: S61.
- Shindano J and Kasase C. (2009). Moringa (Moringa oleifera): a Source of Food and Nutrition, Medicine and Industrial products. In H. R. Juliani, J.E. Simon and C.T. Ho (eds). African Natural Plant Products: Discoveries and Challenges in Quality Control. American Chemical Society Symposium Series, volume 1021. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C. USA. ISBN13: 9780841269873, eISBN: 9780841225381, DOI: 10.1021/bk-2009-1021. pp421- 467
- Nguz, K., Shindano, J., Samapundo, S., & Huyghebaert, A. (2005). Microbiological Evaluation of Fresh-cut Organic Vegetables Produced in Zambia. Food Control, 16, 623 – 628.
- Nguz, K., Shindano, J., Shawa, D., Kasase, C., & Hikeezi, D. M. (2004). The Effect of Proteolytic and Lipolytic Enzyme Activities on Cheddar Cheese Yield. UNZA J. Sci. & Techn., Special Edition, pp. 70 – 76.
- Nguz, K., Shindano, J., Kasase, C., Hikeezi, D. M., & Simate, I. N. (2004). Evaluation of Potential Microbiological Risks in Raw and Pasteurized Milk Produced in Lusaka Town of Zambia. UNZA J. Sci. & Techn., Special Edition, pp. 17 – 23.
- Nguz, K., Kasase, C., Phiri, C., Shindano, J., & Hikeezi, D. M. (2004). Isolation and Inhibitory Effects of Lactic Acid Bacteria from Selected Traditional Fermented Beverages from Rural Zambia on Some Food Pathogens. UNZA J. Sci. & Techn., Special Edition, pp. 9 – 16.