The Department of Soil Science conducts fundamental and applied research in Soil and Water Management through basic and applied sciences, and offers training in Graduate and Undergraduate programmes in Soil Science. The Department has a number of on-going collaborative research projects and boasts of two Centers of Excellence for the SADC region: the Center of Excellence for Land and Water Management and the Center of Excellence for the Application Earth Observation Data in Agriculture and Food Security.
The Department is equipped with modern laboratory facilities for various services highlighted below:
- Soil testing and advisory services to guide the choice of crops and nutrient requirements
- Analysis of soils, plants, water, fertilizer and manures for soil fertility and pollution monitoring
- Fertilizer and lime recommendations
- Irrigation design and installation
- Environmental impact assessments